www.go2bagtrade.com
"Let's get to the picture that we may have seen more of you in the last couple years of your presidency than any other picture," Lauer said. "You're sitting in Air Force One, flying back toward Washington. You fly right over New Orleans and you look out the window."
"Yes," Bush responded. "Huge mistake."
The full Lauer interview airs 8 p.m. Monday night, with Bush's book hitting shelves the following day. But NBC released the following excerpt Friday:
LAUER: Yeah. And in comes the press and they take that picture. And it made you look so out of touch.
BUSH: Detached and uncaring. No question about it.
LAUER: Whose fault was it?
BUSH: It's always my fault. I mean I was the one who should have said, A, don't take my picture, B, let's land in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, C, let's don't even come close to the area. Let's -- the next place to be seen is in Washington at a command center. I mean, it was my fault.
LAUER: When the picture's released you write, "I immediately knew it was a problem."
BUSH: Of course. I'd been around long enough to know that when it was released. And the reason why we didn't land in Louisiana is because I was concerned that first responders would be pulled off their task and I'd be criticized. In retrospect, however, I should have touched down in Baton Rouge, met with the governor and walked out and said, "I hear you. We understand. And we're going to help the state and help the local governments with as much resources as needed." And then got back on a flight up to Washington. I did not do that. And paid a price for it.
[Then and now photos: New Orleans, five years later]
It's likely that most of the revelations in Bush's book will be covered before the title becomes available in stores.
The New York Times already snagged a copy of the book and revealed Tuesday that Bush once considered replacing Vice President Dick Cheney before running for re-election in 2004. Also, NBC released a previous excerpt in which Bush said that rapper Kanye West's criticism of him after Katrina—that he "doesn't care about black people"—was "one of the most disgusting moments of my presidency."
(Photo of Bush overlooking New Orleans on Aug. 31, 2005: AP/Susan Walsh)
www.go2bagtrade.com
热门帖子
-
www.go2bagtrade.com Constantly striving to live a faultless life increases your risk of a very imperfect outcome—early death. Experts sp...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com Congratulations are in order for Ron Gardenhire of the Minnesota Twins and Bud Black of the San Diego Padres as both...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com You've written your resume. You poured a lot of effort into the page that will represent you, and you can't w...
-
http://www.go2bagtrade.com/ Jessica Capshaw | Photo Credits: Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic.com TV Guide It's a girl for Jessi...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com dward Silva El Puente Student of the Month The Rotary Club of Santa Barbara Sunrise honored Edward Silva as El Puente...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com Think of a budget as a financial GPS," says Cate Williams, national spokeswoman for Money Management Internati...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com LOS ANGELES – Grocery store owners William and Esperanza Casco were making enough money to stay cur...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com Slide 1 of 7 Previous | Next The world's super yachts are some of the biggest and most expensive toys ...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com WASHINGTON – German automaker BMW AG is issuing recalls involving about 150,000 luxury vehicles to fix faulty fuel pu...
-
www.go2bagtrade.com WASHINGTON – Raising the retirement age for Social Security would disproportionately hurt low-income workers and m...
没有评论:
发表评论